Do you have a balcony? Why not put it to good use and start hydroponic farming? A hydroponic farming kit for balcony is the perfect way to get started with this type of gardening.
It’s easy to set up and doesn’t take up much space, so you can grow a variety of plants indoors.
We will discuss the benefits of hydroponic farming and how to choose the right kit for your needs. Here is what we will cover:
1. What is hydroponic farming and why is it beneficial
2. How does a hydroponic farming kit work
3. The benefits of using a hydroponic farming kit
4. How to set up a hydroponic farming kit on your balcony or in another small space
5. Tips for keeping your plants healthy and productive in a hydroponic farm
So keep reading to learn more about how to grow with a hydroponic kit for your balcony.
What Is Hydroponic Farming And What Are The Benefits?
Hydroponic farming is a type of gardening that uses nutrient-rich water instead of soil to grow plants.
The last thing you probably want to do is haul soil into your apartment. It’s heavy and it’s dirty. That’s why they call it dirt after all.
But growing plants in hydroponics only requires water and I am pretty sure your apartment has running water. At least I hope so.
This method of farming has many benefits, including:
• Reduced water usage: hydroponic systems recycle water, so there is less water waste.
• Increased yields: hydroponically grown plants often produce more fruits and vegetables than those grown in soil.
• Pest and disease control: hydroponic systems can be better controlled for pests and diseases, resulting in healthier plants.
If you are looking for a way to reduce your environmental impact and grow healthy plants, hydroponic farming is a great option.
How Does A Hydroponic Farming Kit Work?
There are several hydroponic systems that you can use on your balcony. What type you use depends on what you want to grow.
We will look at an NFT system which works great for lettuce and other greens. We will also take look at a DWC (deep water culture) which is for larger plants like tomatoes and peppers.
These hydroponic farming kits include everything you need to get started with either hydroponic gardening system.
Typically, a kit will include some of the following depending on the type of kit:
• A growing tray or container
• A pump
• Nutrient solution
• Growing medium (such as hydroponic clay pellets or Rockwool)
• Air pump for DWC systems
The growing tray or bucket is where your plants will grow. The pump circulates the nutrient solution through the growing medium, providing nutrients to the roots of your plants.
The hydroponic clay pellets or Rockwool act as a support system for the roots of your plants.
Choosing the right hydroponic farming kit for your needs is important for success.
Consider the size of your growing area, the type of plants you want to grow, and your budget when selecting a kit.
The Benefits Of Using A Hydroponic Farming Kit For Balcony?
There are many benefits to using a hydroponic farming kit for a balcony. Some of the benefits include:
• Easy to set up: hydroponic systems are relatively easy to set up, even for beginners.
• Space-saving: hydroponic systems take up less space than traditional gardening methods. This is perfect for small spaces, such as balconies.
• Cost-effective: hydroponic systems are often more affordable than traditional gardening methods.
If you are looking for an easy and space-saving way to garden, hydroponic farming is a great option.
The biggest advantage is that everything you need is right there. I have built many DIY hydro systems.
Almost invariably I end up running back and forth to home depot because I forgot something I need to make it work.
With a hydroponic kit, there is no trial and error like a DIY project because your kit was engineered to work.
How To Set Up A Hydroponic Farming Kit On Your Balcony Or In Another Small Space?
You can set up a hydroponic farming kit in any small space, including on your balcony. To set up your hydroponic system, follow these steps:
• Choose a location for your hydroponic system. Make sure the location gets plenty of sunlight and is near an electrical outlet.
• Assemble your hydroponic system according to the instructions in your kit. This is important. Read them and follow them.
• Fill the reservoir with water and add the nutrient solution. You want to follow directions on whatever nutrients you use. Too much will burn your plants and with too little, they won’t grow well.
• Plant your seeds or plants in the growing medium. Usually, seeds are started separately in a sponge plug or Rockwool cube and set into the unit once they have germinated
• Place your hydroponic system in the location you chose and plug it in. If you are indoors you will probably need an LED grow light, especially for tomatoes, peppers, or cucumbers.
• Add water to the reservoir as needed to keep the roots of your plants moist. After 2 weeks change out the reservoir with fresh nutrient solution.
Hydroponic farming is a great way to garden in small spaces. With a little setup, you can grow a variety of plants indoors.
Hydroponic farming kits are available for purchase online or at some home improvement stores.
2 Hydroponic Systems Using NFT And DWC Systems For Your Balcony
Both systems work very well but NFT works best for lettuce and other greens and DWC works better for larger later maturing plants like tomatoes.
NFT System For Greens
This system is an NFT system with 108 sites for growing various greens and you can check it out on Amazon here.
It will definitely keep you in greens and salads and you might be able to sell any surplus. Many types of greens can also be frozen for later.
You will want to plant your crops in succession so some are being harvested and they are being replaced with new ones.
It works by pumping water from the top which flows down through the pipes and back to the reservoir.
You will need to provide a tote to use as a reservoir. The pump needs to run continuously, day and night in this system.
DWC System For Tomatoes or Peppers
This DWC hydroponic system will let you grow larger plants like tomatoes but you could grow something like head lettuce in it too.
This system recirculates the nutrient solution between the buckets. It needs to be run 24/7. You can see it on Amazon and read reviews here. Here are some tomato roots from my DWC bucket:
Tips For Keeping Plants Healthy And Productive In Your Hydroponic Farm
Here are some tips for keeping your plants healthy and productive in your hydroponic garden:
• Monitor the pH of your nutrient solution regularly. The ideal pH for hydroponic gardening is between five and six. 5.8 is considered the sweet spot and will ensure your nutrients are the most available.
• Keep an eye on the roots of your plants. The roots should be white and healthy looking. If you see any roots that are brown or mushy, remove them from the system.
There are products that can control root rot but they work better as a preventive, not a cure. It is best to keep water temperatures below 72 degrees to avoid root rot.
• Make sure your plants are getting enough light. hydroponic plants need at least 6 to eight hours of direct sunlight per day.
I use LED grow lights but I don’t have a balcony. So my plants are indoors and get 12 hours of light daily.
• Check the nutrient solution level regularly and add more if needed. The roots of your plants should always be submerged in the nutrient solution.
By following these tips, you can grow healthy plants in your hydroponic system. Monitor the condition of your plants regularly and make adjustments as needed to ensure success.
Hydroponic Farming Kit For Balcony Final Thoughts
Hydroponic gardening at home is a great way to garden in small spaces. With a hydroponic system, you can provide your plants with all the nutrients they need to thrive.
Hydroponic kits are easy to set up and maintain, making them a great option for beginner gardeners.
With hydroponic gardening, you can grow a variety of plants indoors with little effort.
Follow the tips in this blog post to get started with hydroponic gardening and enjoy the many benefits it has to offer!